Tuesday, July 15, 2008

30

I turned the big 3-0 on Saturday. Unlike my birthdays when I was little, the day just seemed ordinary. The day before I had gotten an awesome new hairdo, and my husband and kids threw me a little party because Carson was going with grandparents for the night. So that was exciting. Then the actual day came and it was just like any other Saturday. The laundry still needed to done and the dishes still needed to be washed. Alan and Carson did go build a car at our local hardware store. So I had a nice peaceful morning with my daughter. It just seemed like all the magic and excitement of birthdays had gone. I was excited though for that evening because an awesome friend of mine J'aime got a girls night together and we went out to eat in Gastonia and had KK doughnuts for dessert. We had so much fun laughing and talking that I really did not want our time together to end. It just still did not seem right, and after much talk with Alan and many people asking how it feels to be 30. I finally realized what was the problem. It felt wrong to be 30. Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with that age or any age above or below that I just thought I would never be 30. It always seemed so far away and then it came like every other birthday. I am sure I will probably get used to saying that I am 30, but it still feels wrong in some way. I am not afraid of my age or anything like that, but I have been twenty something for 10 years now. I just need a little adjustment time. So far it is fine being 30. I think I just expected some epiphany or some great huge astronomical thing to happen and it didn't. Why I had this idea that something would happen I don't know, but I did. The thing is I know just a little bit more than I did before my birthday. Only because you learn a little something everyday, but the universe of knowledge was not opened up to me. I do have to say though that I am where I hoped to be at 30. I wanted to be happily married with children and I am. So really 30 is fabulous because I have family and friends who love me and a Heavenly Father to guide me and love me through the next 30 years. Here is to the next 30, may they be filled with love, laughter, and many blessings.
Cheers!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Dori! This is sad, we live in the same county and I find out about you from your blog!
We did not know ya'll had another little one. Awesome!!!
Love,
Linda (Thompson)

Faith-Hope-Love said...

Hi Dori! My mom called me to say "Dori has a blog and two beautiful kids!!" I cannot believe how long it has been since I have seen, talked or heard how you were. I hope that your birthday was great! Blessings to you and that great looking family!

Heather

Kristin Espinosa said...

I can not believe we didn't celebrate our 30ths together?!? We need to all get together sometime this year. I miss you!! Happy Birthday!!