Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Grind

To go along with my new diet, I have started baking bread. My bestie Rebecca has been helping me with this because I had never baked regular bread in all of my life. The cool thing is not only are we baking bread we also grind our own wheat. Which totaly amazes me that I am doing this.

I started 1 week ago with a bread off in Rebecca's kitchen. She made bread the old fashioned way and I made it in the bread machine. We both used a recipe that was very similar to each other. After the bread was done I realized I like bread the old fashioned way better. So this past week I baked 2 more loaves this way for my first time and loved it.

The bread that we make is so healthy for us. There is no preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, additives, or anything else that is bad for us. We use honey as a sweetener, but only 2 tbs. This bread is so good and so good for us. The cool thing is Wednesday for supper James Bond (a.k.a. Alan) and I had grilled cheese sandwiches with fresh out of the oven homemade bread. It was the best sandwich we had ever had. I told Bond that I was officially spoiled and he said I did it to myself.

The amazing thing that really gets me excited is, that since God has lead us down this path, my children may not ever know or realize that bread comes in a bag and not straight out of the oven. Also, I can pass this on to them and they can do this for their families. How exciting and amazing! The generational sin of eating poorly and not taking care of our bodies, ends with Bond and I. This just gives me goose bumps and really shows me how God is working in our lives through this difficult time. If it wasn't for our situation I don't think we would be making a change like we are. Thank you God for Your mysterious ways and for not showing me what was coming because I would have chickened out. The Lord is so good and His love endures forever!

1 comment:

EngineersFalcon said...

I love having you make bread here. We have ALWAYS felt better when we are eating good, healthy, homemade bread. We got the mill and mixer a year ago this month, and although we have had periods when we had to buy bread, but mostly we LOVE our bread fresh from the oven. There is something so fulfilling about grinding too.